
I had never planned on starting a blog. I never and still do not think my life is interesting enough for people to want to read about. Well this year my husband, Brian, and I decided to sponsor an orphan girl from Russia named Rebekah through Reese's Rainbow in memory of our daughter, Maisie, since we are unable to give her Christmas presents. Rebekah is extra special like our Maisie. She was born with an extra chromosome on the 21st pair, which means she has Downs Syndrome, Maisie's was on the 18th pair so she had Trisomy 18 or Edward's Syndrome. I was one of those people who felt that Americans should always adopt domestically because we need to take care of our own kids in our own country first. I talked to friends who have adopted internationally and read more about what Reese's Rainbow does and why they do it and now I understand why it is so important that these children from other countries, especially those with disabilities are adopted by everyone including Americans. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26332429/ns/dateline_nbc-international/t/serbias-horrific-institutions-relic-past/#.Tq9HFrK1dBl The mission of Reece's Rainbow is to rescue orphans with Down syndrome through the gift of adoption, to raise awareness for all of the children who are waiting in 25 countries around the world, and to raise funds as adoption grants that help adoptive families afford the high cost of adopting these beautiful children.Rebekah was born in Russia. She is currently living in an orphanage, which doesn't seem too bad, but when children in orphanages who have a disability, like DS, reach around the age of five they are placed in mental institutions. In these mental institutions, these children are sometimes tied to their cribs, sometimes fed, and sometimes they get their diaper changed. They are confined to their cribs so much so that their legs atrophy and they become misshaped. I have seen pictures and videos of these poor children and my heart breaks for them. They are treated this way simply because they have a disability!
Back to the reason why I started a blog, the easiest way to raise money for our Christmas Angel Rebekah is through the chip in donation link and the other Reece's Rainbow link that can be found on my blog. So I figured why not!? Plus, there are several other things that I like to do to raise awareness and funds for my daughter's cause: Trisomy 18 awareness and pregnancy and infant loss.
So if our Christmas Angel Rebekah or our little girl Maisie touches your heart please take the time to donate to her fund that will help a family give Rebekah a forever home that doesn't include confinement to a crib or being tied to a crib. You can make a tax deductible donation starting tomorrow 11/01/2011 directly using either link here on my blog.
Such a beautiful thing to see loss turn into hope.
ReplyDelete